Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Button, button . . .and my fav block


Button, button, who will sew on a button today? Will it be you? How is your bingo card coming along?

As one of the Bingo bloggers (that has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Kinda just rolls right off your tongue . . . bingo bloggers) I've been asked to tell you a little about my quilting preferences.  At the risk of boring you, I will fill you in on what used to be my automatic, quick-as-a-wink answer for "what's your favorite color?"  It was this:


Just about any shade, any texture, so long as it could be called "blue."
Now-a-days, I'm getting a little more eccentric, er, crazy, er, open to color palettes, and I find my favorite is: 


That was yesterday . . . here is today's color:


And tomorrow might be:


You can see that I'm bouncing all over the place and being more adventurous, ay?
As far as favorite blocks, I adore the old-fashioned ones, and I'm planning a sampler quilt a-la-Bonnie-Hunter, in oranges and white like her Cream-sicle quilt. (Or did she call it Dream-sicle...) Anyway, I hope to get started on that shortly after the next seventeen projects on my list, which should bring me to about the second quarter of 2016. (Grin)
My favorite block of all time is this one:



It's called Blackford's Beauty. I've tried to track down some history on it, and as usual in old quilt blocks, there are varying theories! I've settled on one that suits me because I'm a history buff:  
   The block was named for a ford ( river crossing ) near Sharpsburg , Maryland  - The Confederate Army of Northern Virginia crossed the Potomac River at this point to get back to the safety of Confederate ground - not knowing at that time they out numbered the Union Army there -- this was following the bloody slaughter at Antietam ,Sept. 17 1862 -- the following summer was the battle of Gettysburg where the South's spirit was broken ---
The block can be stunning in different colorways:



(The history and the images are all from the Quilter's Cache web site, and I'm grateful for their assistance.)

Back to bingo!!

I hope you'll find something for your card right here:

N--florida
I--bat
G--paisley
O--spiderweb (but not spider)
I--weathervane
O--diamonds
N--fox
N--tie dye
G--jumprope
I--ornament

If you didn't find a word here, be sure to check the other blogs (there are linkies in the previous post) and see if there are some for you there!
Have a lovely day!

Love,

11 comments:

  1. 2016? Eeek....thought I was stretching too far in my project list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it counts if you have a button in each row. No lines, no patterns but at least a button in each row.
    I am definitely going for the least amount of buttons sewn on in four weeks. I managed to get a grand total of 0 today. I have sewn on 24 buttons over three cards.
    Still there is always next week. Love your colour choices although I think you need to consider purple! Especially when mixed with green and grey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah blue! A super block worth revisiting and love the Quilter's Cache site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh that is a pretty block!! I'm going to check out the Quilter's Cache site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the button photo! I would of course choose blues for a quilt. Cool quilt block. Thanks for the history too. I see why it is your favorite right now! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful block. Blue is one of the colors that I struggle with in quilting. I wish I could use it more readily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. no words here but I do like that block done up in pink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a fun post to read. One of my favorite blocks is Wonky Log Cabin.

    No buttons sewn on here....

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always make me smile! I love that block and it is gorgeous in the different colorways. Right now my favorite color is all shades of gray - not sure why but it really tickles my fancy these days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the block which you showed as your favorite too. Great looking block with lots of color choices.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy to hear from you! I try to respond to all comments, but lately blogger has made that difficult! If you do not receive a reply, it may be because your profile is set on "no-reply". Edit your profile, and click "show my email address" and we'll be able to talk!
Please do not leave links to un-related blogs or products. That is not good etiquette and they will be deleted! :)